A Rare Commodity

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »

That'd be sleep, in case you were wondering.

It has been in very short supply at my house these days. Well, for me, that is. Everyone else is sleeping perfectly. Except me. I think I'm having one of my insomniac eras or something.

I am so exhausted all the time. And I mean all the time! Then when I lie down I cannot sleep. It just will NOT come. Then there is DH snorting. The wutz wanting to snuggle against me. The dogs barking outside. I live in the country, at the corner of Slingshitchina and Bumfuckegypt. Isn't it supposed to be quiet, serene, and peaceful? At 2am when I'm dying for sleep, it feels anything but that, I assure you.

Last night, DH got home from work at midnight. We both went to bed at 12:45. By 12:50 he was blissfully snoring away. I shoved earplugs in my ears and prayed for sleep. At 1:45 I rolled over and prayed again for sleep. That's when the migraine creeped in. At 2:45 the wutz rolled over to me and wiggled his fingers against my belly, "Tickle tickle!" I guess he was dreaming. I wished I were, but my head was pounding like a jackhammer on New York City cement.

I snatched up my pillow and my mogu and shuffed down the hall to the spare bedroom. Surely I could catch some Zzz's in a quiet room all alone! But alas, it was not to be. Finally sometime after 3am I broke down and took an Ambien for the first time. I think sleep claimed me around 4am. I woke up at 6:30am when DH called in to work for me to tell them I had a migraine and would not be in. I think I managed to sleep for another hour and a half after that. I thought Ambien was supposed to be the great sleep aid. Four hours? Geez. I guess it was better than nothing.

So much for better living through chemistry!

0 comments: