Seriously? Cheap candy? That's all I get?

Saturday, October 31, 2009 Posted In , , , Edit This 3 Comments »



The wutz decided over a month ago that he wanted to be Thomas the Tank Engine for Halloween. I was saddened that he picked out a cheap costume from Target instead of some of the uber-cute costumes I'd found online, though. Apparently he's grown out of the stage where I can use him as my dress-up doll. *sniffle*

So tonight we dressed him up in his little costume and took him first to Grandma's house, where she gave him a handpainted cauldron of treats. Inside the cauldron was a toy tractor and trailer. Wutz bliss in a cardboard box.

Next we drove to town and went to Granny and PopPop's house. There he got an entire bag of chocolate and another toy package that contained a truck, tractor, and trailer. He was thrilled to death and immediately started playing with his loot.

Finally it got dark enough to go Trick or Treating. We went to the Polo Grounds because they close off the streets so vehicles cannot drive through. It is very crowded with children, so it really makes it a lot of fun. Except for the handful of snotty kids with zero manners that I want to bop in the head with the wutz's treat pail. And I did it several times in my head, too. It made me feel a little better. But I digress...

After the first house, the wutz realized something was very wrong. We walked up to the second house and he stepped closer to the steps and the lady handing out candy. He hesitated. Then he leaned forward and looked into the basket containing oodles and oodles of candy. When he realized there really was no tractors in the basket he shook his head and turned around to leave. Fortunately, the lady had no clue why he stepped back and turned, so I eased in quickly and steered his shoulders so he had to accept the candy in a quasi-polite manner.

Back on the street we had to have a brief little talk about what Trick or Treating is really supposed to be about. Fortunately, he got the hang of it and ended up having a great time.



3 comments:

Kathy said...

They certainly do get the knack of it quickly enough. It's really great that you have a place to go where there is no worry about cars; I'd love that. BTW that is a cute costume even if it's not quite what you would have chosen.

Unknown said...

FUNNY! I love his cheap Target costume ... it's the man that makes the suit and he is ADORABLE!

PS- Time to change your BLOG! teehee

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I was so depressed when last year, my older son, chose the black spiderman costume(not that he had ever seen the movie). I wanted so badly for him to be in a matching costume with my other son, who had just turned one at the time. But I lost him and there was no reasoning with him. He was 4.