Terrible Twos

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 Posted In , Edit This 0 Comments »

When I was pregnant with the wutz, I purchased all of the baby books I could get my hands on. You probably know the ones: Baby Whisperer, What to Expect When You are Expecting. Ect, etc. Anyways, I devoured them. It felt good to have some sense of control in a situation that I knew I could not control. It calmed me, even as my parents others rolled their eyes and warned I couldn’t learn about childbirth from a book.

Fast forward to two years later, I have found myself in the midst of the terrible twos. I’ve heard from a friend that it is called that not because it occurs in two year olds, but because it lasts from age 2 and ends somewhere at age 4. That wasn’t very helpful.

So today I marched myself down to the local library. I hadn’t darkened those doors since college. It had been so long, I actually had to sheepishly fill out a request for a new library card. Once the card was in hand, I marched myself over to the computer and pretended to know what in the hell I was doing. After a few tries, I managed to find the parenting section in the aisles. Unfortunately, the book suggested to me, 1-2-3 Magic, was already checked out, but I did manage to find The Happiest Toddler on the Block and some other random parenting book that looked mildly helpful. I checked them out and headed on my merry way.

I feel better now. I feel like I have something productive I can do that might possibly improve my parenting skills. I know that many might snicker behind their hands, but parenting a two-year-old tornado is no easy task. I am hoping to find a way to make it as painless as possible. For both of us.

Armed with the new literature, it is my goal to establish a routine and expectations that will allow the wutz and I to better understand each other when we are in a situation where verbal communication fails us.

Speaking of communication, it is late and I am quite certain this rambling is incoherent. I’m going to leave this till tomorrow…

G’night!

0 comments: